Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2006 13:29:25 +0100
From:      Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan@buzzard.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   GPL License violation

I received an email yesterday asking about the license of some code
found in FreeBSD to turn the fan on a Dell laptop on/off, the code in
question is shown below. I do not know exactly where in FreeBSD this
code lies, as I do not use FreeBSD. Neither do I want or should have to
go looking for it.

This code has been lifted verbatim out of drivers/char/i8k.c in Linux,
which in itself was a minor modification of code in
drivers/char/toshiba.c mdae by myself. This code dates back to January
1998, and was first included in Linux around 2.2.20. I am the original
author of this code, and it is clearly and only ever licensed under the
GPL. I must insist that it be removed forwith from FreeBSD.

JAB.

(cut along the line)
-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------

	asm("pushl %%eax\n\t" \
       "movl 0(%%eax),%%edx\n\t" \
	   "push %%edx\n\t" \
	   "movl 4(%%eax),%%ebx\n\t" \
	   "movl 8(%%eax),%%ecx\n\t" \
	   "movl 12(%%eax),%%edx\n\t" \
	   "movl 16(%%eax),%%esi\n\t" \
	   "movl 20(%%eax),%%edi\n\t" \
	   "popl %%eax\n\t" \
	   "out %%al,$0xb2\n\t" \
	   "out %%al,$0x84\n\t" \
	   "xchgl %%eax,(%%esp)\n\t"
	   "movl %%ebx,4(%%eax)\n\t" \
	   "movl %%ecx,8(%%eax)\n\t" \
	   "movl %%edx,12(%%eax)\n\t" \
	   "movl %%esi,16(%%eax)\n\t" \
	   "movl %%edi,20(%%eax)\n\t" \
	   "popl %%edx\n\t" \
	   "movl %%edx,0(%%eax)\n\t" \
	   "lahf\n\t" \
	   "shrl $8,%%eax\n\t" \
	   "andl $1,%%eax\n" \
	    : "a" (regs)
	    : "%ebx", "%ecx", "%edx", "%esi", "%edi", "memory");

    if ((rc != 0) || ((regs->eax & 0xffff) == 0xffff) || (regs->eax ==
eax))
    {
    	return -1;
    }

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195