Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:04:41 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   festival+OGI brokenness: reason found

I think I found a reason why build of audio/festival+OGI touches
LOCALBASE fs before installation (during regular build).

I think it is the following line in speech_tools/config/rules/install.mak:
PROJECT_HOME_PATH := $(shell mkdir -p $($(PROJECT_PREFIX)_HOME); cd
$($(PROJECT_PREFIX)_HOME); pwd)

Here $(PROJECT_PREFIX) is "FESTIVAL" and $(FESTIVAL_HOME) is assigned
from $(PKG_FESTIVAL_HOME) [in festival/config/config] which passed to
gmake through environment from the port's Makefile and it is
${PREFIX}/share/festival.

That file, tools/config/rules/install.mak, is included into
speech_tools/Makefile and thus mkdir+cd are executed by mere makefile
inclusion and variable assignment.

I think that this way "they" were trying to do some realpath-ish thing,
but I believe that this is totally unnecessary. So, I think, that we can
fix the port by changing the offending assignment to a simple:
PROJECT_HOME_PATH := $($(PROJECT_PREFIX)_HOME)

P.S. I see that "regular" festival is at version 1.95, maybe
festival+OGI could be updated to that too ?
Or is OGI stuff already integrated into festival 1.95 and this
festival+OGI port is obsolete ?
I am not sure that I understand how OpenBSD ports are organized, but
they might have done festival+OGI 1.9.5:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/audio/festival/

Personally I am using festival+OGI because of festvox-mwm.
--
Andriy Gapon