Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2006 22:30:43 +0100
From:      admin@cordef.net.pl
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 29160 + Fujitsu MAS3367NC - cannot force U160

Justin T. Gibbs napisał(a):
> The jumpers, when populated, force termination to be enabled.  You
> shouldn't need
> them:
>
> http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1092&p_created=949587020&p_sid=oPDooumi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjImcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD0yOTE2MCBqdW1wZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1
>

> The only other guess I have is that the "force-se" jumper is populated
> on both of your
> drives.  You could verify that the 29160 believes the bus is in SE
> mode by instrumenting
> aic7xxx.c:ahc_devlimited_syncrate().  The first if block is where the
> driver checks the
> operating mode of the transceiver and limits the negotiation accordingly.
>
> --
> Justin
Well, I don't think devices are forced to SE, at lest not because of
jumper setting. I checked - on IBM drive this jumper is opened and
Fujitsu doesn't have one at all. The only one source of problems I can
see is adapter. It has the DIFFSNS signal left not connected.
Theoretically it means device is set to differential. But what if
controller forces it to low? Tomorrow I'll try to connect it to the +5V
and see what will happen.
Justin, let me ask you one more question: I wonder where is the setting
"GOAL" taken from? I understand that "USER" is a maximum possible
transfer for the interface and  "CURR" is maximum possible transfer for
the device (calculated at DV stage). Is this setting connected with
state of bus - i.e. if bus is SE then GOAL is forced to be 40.0 instead
of 160.0? Or it is set somewhere in device EEPROM?