Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2011 15:54:35 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Merge of binutils 2.17

On Jan 07, 2011, at 15:41 , Doug Barton wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 13:29, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>=20
>> Yes, I submitted an exp-run request Nov 15, 2010:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D152268
>> Unfortunately, there has been little or no interest.
>=20
> Fair enough, that sounds to me like portmgr is volunteering to clean =
up the mess then.

Most likely it's low priority given all the other exp-runs that affect =
7.x/8.x, tweaking things for an 6.x-EOL-tagged tree, and a bunch of =
other infrastructure stuff.  Not to mention the impending 7- and 8- =
RELEASEs.

Then of course there's the issue (which is certainly getting better) of =
finding a point in time along the -CURRENT path where the tree is stable =
(sic) enough to get through a full ports run (which is one of the bigger =
internal stress tests we have of the system).

IMO, the best approach would be to make sure it does the right thing =
with 'make universe' (twice, naturally, the second time being when all =
traces of the previous binutils has been purged from the building =
system).  Once that's done, commit (please bump __FreeBSD_version as =
part of this, in case ports OSVERSION hacks are eventually needed), and =
then give the exp-run a whirl -- with all of the above, this should be =
nicely after 7.4/8.2

-aDe