Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:26:04 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        marcel@FreeBSD.org, Juli Mallett <juli@clockworksquid.com>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is anything being done to un-break partition names?

On Jun 4, 2009, at 10:12 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:18:09PM -0700, Juli Mallett wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> If I install 7.2 (or old 8-CURRENT) and partition a drive
>> "dangerously
>> dedicated" and answer No when asked if I want to create a true
>> partition entry, and then install as normal, my system is set up with
>> partitions named like da0s1a.

That's your problem. In a DD setup, you don't have slices.

>>  Newer 8-CURRENT instead names the
>> devices da0a,

This is correct.

> I don't think it was. For me it's a bug in GEOM_PART_MBR, which has
> problems detecting MBRs properly.
>
> Shame on you, Marcel!:)

The bug is on your disk and as such in sysinstall. GEOM_PART_MBR
detects the MBR just fine. If you don't have GEOM_PART_BSD in
your kernel your will in fact get the MBR slices. The problem
for you is in the fact that you have a BSD disklabel in sector
2, which takes precedence. A disk partitioned as a BSD disklabel
nested in an MBR slice can *NEVER* have a BSD disklabel in the
2nd sector on the disk. The fact that there is a BSD disklabel
in sector 2 means that the disk is DD and that is what you get
for gpart.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar