Date:      Thu, 22 May 2008 10:02:08 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com>,  freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to create a directory under /dev?

Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
>> Carlos A. M. dos Santos <> wrote:
>>  > I attempted this:
>>  >
>>  >      # mkdir /dev/foo
>>  >      mkdir: /dev/foo: Operation not supported
>>
>> DEVFS is a "virtual" filesystem [...]
>
> I already knew that. :-)
>
>>  > Any suggestions (besides creating it elsewhere, of course)?
>>
>> That depends on the purpose.  *Why* do you want to create
>> a subdirectory in /dev?  What do you want to do with it?
>
> I intended to use it as the mount point for a filesystem.

I think this is a quite weird idea. Why would you want another
filesystem under /dev? /dev is for devices! Maybe you want something
like /mnt or whatever, unless you are developing your own "sub-" devfs.

But, by the way, there is a (slightly) more valid reason to want to
create a directory under /dev, I recently had it. For one non-standard
third-party application I needed to create a link to existing device in
a certain subdirectory. I.e.:
/dev/subdirX/device -> /dev/deviceX
And I couldn't do that.
Or maybe link operation for devfs just needs to be taught about creating
subdirectories on demand. I don't know.

--
Andriy Gapon