Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 06:55:53 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd@mutex.org>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:02:00 MST, Aaron Smith wrote:

> hey, that's a pretty neat feature. i confess i wasn't aware of that.  out
> of curiosity, can old inetds read this without choking?

No, the extension would cause older inetd's to barf.

> agreed; what i was trying to get at is the mental difference in dealing
> with it. i didn't realize there was an extension already in place -- i
> should have checked the man page over when i saw sheldon's first message
> about "wait/10/10/nowrap".

There isn't. It's a proposed extension that might happen soon. :-)

> in order to make this compatible won't one have to specify the not-so-pretty
> "wait/0/0/nowrap"? i guess "wait/nowrap" could be made to work. that's less
> ugly.

Actually, any of the following ought to work:

wait/nowrap	wait/10/nowrap	wait/10/10/nowrap
wait/nowrap/10	wait/10/nowrap/10

As well as the previous permutations available. We're lucky because
"nowrap" isn't a number, so it can't be confused with a request to set
max_child nor max_cpm.

> i am less bothered by this change given the maxchild precedent, if there
> are definitely people who will *use* this. if people don't actually use it,
> it will just become a chunk of legacy extra-complexity.

I think you may have as many as two people using it. :-\

> all: sorry if i came off too strident. i have a sore spot for feeping
> creaturism. :)

Don't be sorry. It's about time people started articulating my rebuttal.
;-)

I don't think the core team would care enough about something this silly
to bother making a decision, so I'm just watching what people have to
say. I'm leaning toward leaving the "nowrap" feature out.

Ciao,
Sheldon.