Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2017 08:42:27 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        "David Wolfskill" <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Ports ML" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, "Stefan Esser" <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Working on FLAVOR support in portmaster

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 03:33:10 -0800 "David Wolfskill" <david@catwhisker=2Eorg> =
said

> On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 08:35:55AM +0100, Stefan Esser wrote:
> > =2E=2E=2E
> > I'm working on FLAVOR support in portmaster=2E My version did already bui=
ld
> > all updated ports, the FLAVOR parameter is passed to build sub-processe=
s,
> > but there is still some confusion between multiple flavored versions of=
 the
> > same port (installing the py27 version wants to deinstall the py36 vers=
ion
> > and vice versa), which I still have to fix=2E
>=20
> Thank you; that is encouraging=2E
>=20
> > I'm not sure that I have time to complete the fix today, but it is not =
too
> > hard=2E Ports need to complement the port origin with the FLAVOR, where
> > appropriate (e=2Eg=2E when a flavored destination is found in MOVED)=2E Alrea=
dy
> > installed packages are annotated with "flavor" and that must be passed =
> > the build command, when that port is updated=2E Most other logic in portm=
aster
> > remains unaffected=2E
>=20
> That seems reasonable=2E
>=20
> > My work version has all non PKG_NG support stripped, but that is mainly=
> > not waste effort fixing irrelevant sub-routines=2E
>=20
> Also reasonable, IMO=2E
>=20
> > Is it acceptable, to have portmaster stop supporting the old package sy=
stem?
> > AFAIK, there is no way that a modern ports tree with flavor support wor=
ks
> > with a non-PKG_NG infrastructure?
>=20
> I believe so: if for no other reason, one wishing to support such a
> non-PKG_NG infrastructure can certainly use an older version of
> portmaster=2E
The sensible side of me also agrees that this is probably a reasonable,
and efficient approach=2E But the practical side says there will likely
be some screaming on the mailing lists, once this change lands=2E
IMHO it might be a good idea to make a legacy branch, in the ports
tree before gutting the pre-NG stuff=2E

Just a thought=2E :)
>=20
> > Regards, STefan