Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:32:45 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is international support broken is msdosfs file system driver?

I have a FAT disk written in Windows that has Chinese characters in file
names.

When I mount this disk without any special options I see question marks
in place of Chinese characters.
When I mount with options -D=CP950,-L=zh_TW.Big5 there are still some
question marks and garbage characters.
When I mount with options -D=CP936,-L=zh_CN.GBK there are also some
question marks and garbage characters in place of Chinese.

I read the contents with 'ls' command from x-terminal in kde4. Normally
Chinese characters are shown ok this way.

My question is how to read proper file names from FAT disk in FreeBSD?
Also the concept of even having the options like -D=CP950,-L=zh_TW.Big5
seems questionable.
What if there are files with names in many encodings are on the same FS?
Which options should be used?
Shouldn't msdosfs driver just show international characters without any
special options like ufs driver normally does?

Yuri