Date:      Sat, 04 Apr 2009 14:49:00 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding comment to UPDATING file

--------------enigD9214722A2A232B27B5F9B65

Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:46:11 +0100
> Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

>> I find it's also a good idea to add a warning about such things to
>> any pkg_message printed out at install time.
>=20
> Thanks! I was considering the pkg_message idea; however, users of
> Portupgrade or other port maintenance tools often do not see the
> messages printed out out the end of the installation. I will be
> including a message though.

portmaster saves up all the pkg_messages and displays them at the end
of the update session.  I believe moves are afoot to add similar behaviou=
to some other ports management tools.

Also:

   pkg_info -Dx portname=20

is a command that should be more widely known and used.

> Maybe they should add an addendum to the Porter's Handbook
> describing that.

If you send an e-mail to freebsd-doc@... or send-pr with some suggested t=
ext,
it or something similar is fairly likely to be incorporated.  Even better=
 if
you send a patch against the Docbook sources, but on the whole just havin=
some suggested text to work with is acceptable.  Although right now is ma=
ybe
not the best time as I think the docs slush preparatory to 7.2-RELEASE is=

imminent, if not already here...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20