Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:26:41 +0200
From:      Fredrik Lindberg <fli@shapeshifter.se>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox bridged adapter (vboxnetflt)

Okay, so this past weekend I re-wrote the vboxnetflt driver using
netgraph (as suggested by Julian Elischer).

It's now an netgraph node and automatically attaches to ng_ether.
This is probably the best solution that also works properly on FreeBSD 7.

One minor thing, one do I manually generate opt_netgraph.h on FreeBSD 7
without using bsd.kmod.mk? Currently I just create an empty file.

Also changed it to the MIT license to keep the Vbox guys happy (in
reality a NOP as the MIT and 2-clause BSD licenses are essentially equal).

This version has been tested on FreeBSD 7.2/i386 and FreeBSD 8/i386-SMP.

Patches are at
http://www.shapeshifter.se/pub/patches/vbox-freebsd-netif-20090831.patch
http://www.shapeshifter.se/pub/patches/vbox-freebsd-vboxnetflt-20090831.patch
http://www.shapeshifter.se/pub/patches/virtualbox-port.patch

Apply/compile with
cd /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox
make clean patch
mkdir work/virtualbox-3.0.51r22226/src/VBox/HostDrivers/VBoxNetFlt/freebsd
patch -d work/virtualbox-3.0.51r22226 < vbox-freebsd-netif-20090831.patch
patch -d work/virtualbox-3.0.51r22226 <
vbox-freebsd-vboxnetflt-20090831.patch
patch < virtualbox-port.patch
make install

Test if you're interested and report failures/successes.

Fredrik