Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:42:28 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.net>
Cc:        FreeBsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail: open-relay

--------------enig2812261018662AC7F439629B

Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> Am Montag, den 04.01.2010, 13:02 +0000 schrieb Matthew Seaman:=20
>> Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:

>>> I am running my own small mail-server, i.e. I use my desktop pc for
>>> sending and receiving my private mails.
>>> That worked quite nicely the last years. From time to time I tested
>> my
>>> mail-server via abuse.net's mail-relay tester. - Never got any
>>> positives.
>>> Now suddenly I receive one:

>>> Any ideas?
>> Plenty.  But it would help a great deal if you showed us your
>> ${hostname}.mc.

> O.K. this is my complete pukruppa.net.mc
> divert(-1)
> #
[...]

which is exactly the same as the default freebsd.mc -- nothing suspicious=

there.

Hmmm...  anything unusual (ie to do with domains not local to your machin=
e)
in /etc/mail/local-host-names or /etc/mail/virtusertable  or=20
/etc/mail/mailertable?  You're definitely running with that config file,
and you don't have anything like OpenBSD spamd(8) running that could inte=
rcept
incoming SMTP traffic?

If that's so, then I can't see how your machine could be an open relay.  =
The
abuse.net relay tester must have been having a bad day.  In fact, can you=

find the records in /var/mail/maillog to show abuse.net's server connecti=
ng
to yours in order to do the testing?  It may be that it was connecting to=
 somewhere else entirely.  Or it was somehow trying to test relaying usin=
an address that was somehow actually valid on your system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3