Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:24:25 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: propose: change some sense codes handling

On Apr 5, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:

>>> Align handling of this condition with the rest of the conditions in =
the same
>>> family: "Power on occurred", "SCSI bus reset occurred", "Bus device =
reset
>>> function occurred", etc.
>>> I don't see this particular condition should be special.
>>> Any insights and/or historical reasons?
>>=20
>> I would  be cautious with this. Of course if it happened with no =
outstanding operations and data committed to media, it should be =
harmless. But if you power cycle a hard disk with a dirty cache, some of =
the data won't be committed to disk. If you just retry the operation and =
otherwise ignore the message (which is equivalent to just logging and =
retrying) you keep writing data to a possibly corrupted medium. It can =
certainly led to further corruption and make the problem worse.
>>=20
>> My opinion, of course ;)
>=20
> Sure :)
> But why would this particular sense code be so different from other =
similar codes
> that I quoted above.

I forgot. Of course it's not harmelss at all. That's the problem of =
being multi-tasking ;)

Reset or power on could indicate that any configuration written to the =
device (mode pages) have gone back to the default values as well. So, =
even with no outstanding operations, I would treat it with caution.

And again, if you power cycle a device from which you have filesystems =
attached I find it safer to treat it as an I/O error, unmounting the =
filesystems, checking, etc, etc.

Borja.