Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2011 01:33:46 +0300
From:      Michael Spratt <mike@magicislandtechnologies.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Cc:        adrian@xenion.com.au, Douglas Lampi <doug@magicislandtechnologies.com>
Subject:   soft-cap,

Dear friends,  linux/ipfw/dummynet/transparent-bridge, am trying to cap
users to upload/TX rates, but allow them to go over if the link is not
congested.

The example below limits each src-ip mask-IP's TX from 10.10.0.0/20 to
128Kbp/s,  and from 10.20.0.0/20 to 1024Kbp/s.
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 128Kbit/s mask src-ip 0xffffffff
ipfw pipe 2 config bw 1024Kbit/s mask src-ip 0xffffffff
ipfw 10001 add pipe 1 ip from 10.10.0.0/20 to any out xmit br0
ipfw 10001 add pipe 2 ip from 10.20.0.0/20 to any out xmit br0
?How to define total link size 100/100Mbit/s and allow individual ip's
to exceed rate limit when link is not full?
This simply places a HARD CAP on each IP.

My question is, how to allow each IP to exceed that hard limit if the
bandwidth on the up-link is available.  IE. If there is free bandwidth
let them use it; if not scale users exceeding their subscibed data rate
down until they are down to their subscribed limit?

My WAN uplink is 100Mbp/s
I want to give the clients the benefit of exceeding their TX dynamic
pipe cap-limit,  when the system has spare bandwdith.

I welcome any feedback. Thanks -Mike 1-214-901-3232