Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2011 11:38:56 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade path from STABLE to RELEASE

--------------enig606072100A74E79766919F7A

On 07/01/2011 11:14, Paul Macdonald wrote:

> I have a box which i installed 7.0 stable on and i want to do a binary
> update to 8.1 REL, is this possible via the freebsd-update utility?
>=20
> freebsd-update -r 8.1-RELEASE upgrade
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
> Fetching public key from update5.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching public key from update4.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching public key from update2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching public key from update3.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>=20
> (Its only on stable that it fails, works fine).

No. freebsd-update only works with -RELEASE branches, as you have
discovered for yourself.

Your choices are to backup and reinstall using a release version,
or to grab the latest -STABLE or -RELEASE sources and upgrade by
compiling from source.  Note that last option still won't allow you to
use freebsd-update subsequently: you have to stick with the binaries
from the install media for that to work.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3