Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:56:43 +0100
From:      Robert Schulze <rs@bytecamp.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   nfs and dropped udp datagrams

I wonder how big kern.ipc.maxsockbuf shall be tuned on a busy
NFS-Server. In the last time, I often see clients loosing connection to
their mounted directories. Furthermore, I see increasing counts for
upd datagrams "dropped due to full socket buffers" in netstat -s -p udp.

The mbuf situation does not seem to be the reason for the lost
connections, vmstat -z shows 0 failures in the mbuf section.

Are there any other tunables which could prevent loss of connection to
the server? What is a reasonable value for maxsockbuf?

With kind regards,
Robert Schulze