Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:42:27 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: man 3 getopt char * const argv[] - is const wrong ?

Am 13.02.2011 18:15, schrieb Julian H. Stacey:
> Hi,
> Thanks to all respondents, I'll re-read comments in a bit,
> I went searching for reference:
>
> Matthias wrote:
>> the prototype is in line with the Single Unix Specification v4 aka IEEE
>> Std. 1003.1-2008 (sorry no URL, I have checked my local copy, check
>> <http://www.opengroup.org/>; you can access it free of charge after
>> registering name and email address).
> Thanks, but I didn't find it.

Julian,

Deep link sent off-list. Start page http://www.unix.org/online.html -
sorry that the opengroup.org links led you onto long-winded detours.

> 	( I used X Open's Search but wan't easy, (I recall fat green
> 	cardboard boxes from XOpen 20+ years back) : impression
> 	remains: opaque unattractive.  Part of the attraction of C
> 	was a slim light affordable volume, 1cm thick, well written,
> 	2 indexes, easy reading, carrying & reference :-)

Well, instead of ranting, you might just appreciate the difference
between the core language and ANSI-C (1989/1990) standard library
features, and the enhanced environment that Unix provides nearly two
decades later... Try gcc -std=c89 -pedantic-errors on your average Unix
software for a change... :)

HTH
Matthias