Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:42:20 +0100
From:      Niclas Zeising <niclas.zeising@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dovecot Sieve

On 2011-02-21 20:13, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> I want to define mail filters for incoming mail in order to have them in
> the right folders once I check my mail with my mobile phone (when not
> having my IMAP client incl. rules online). Running with Dovecont
> already, I have been advised in this list to use Dovecot Sieve.
>
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-sieve
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-sieve/Makefile
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-sieve/distinfo
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-sieve/files
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-sieve/files/pkg-message.in
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-sieve/pkg-descr
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-sieve/pkg-plist
>
> Can someone tell me where this port is used for:
>
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-managesieve
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-managesieve/Makefile
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-managesieve/distinfo
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-managesieve/pkg-descr
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-managesieve/pkg-message
> /usr/ports/mail/dovecot-managesieve/pkg-plist
>
> Is that kind of script generator for Sieve in order to define in a more
> easy way your filters?
>
> regards,
> Jos Chrispijn

As far as I can tell, dovecot-managesieve is the server part of sieve.
You can have it running to be able to use a sieve client to define your
sieve programs, instead of having to log on to the mail server and edit
a script file on the local harddrive. This is convenient if you use
virtual users or just don't want to give every user a login shell on the
mail server, but still make it possible for them to define their own
mail sorting rules.
HTH
Niclas