Date:      Fri, 01 Apr 2011 14:26:12 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-eclipse@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   adding and maintaining the port upstream

As a an Eclipse user I would really love to have this.
I think that many people would also appreciate it.

But I have not been involved in Eclipse porting and maintaining at all.

So I'd like to ask the people who have been doing all the hard (and very
impressive!) work for many years.
Guys, what do you think about this?

Here is a link that describes the procedure of adding a new platform:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform-releng-faq#I_would_like_to_recompile_eclipse_on_a_platform_that_is_not_currently_supported._What_is_the_best_approach_to_this.3F__How_can_I_ensure_that_the_community_can_use_my_work.3F

I've asked people on the eclipse-dev mailing list:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.eclipse.devel/1860
and they "haven't had success in the past with community contributions of new
platforms".  Their biggest concern is the ongoing support/maintenance - fixing
bugs, staying current with the changes, etc.

On one hand, pushing most of our porting changes upstream should make future
porting easier for us.  On the other hand, it's a big commitment.  We (you,
actually) already do sort of maintenance work, but currently it seems to be more
of on-and-off kind rather than continuous - but I could be wrong here, because I
have not been deeply involved in FreeBSD Eclipse community.

So, what is the best for us?
Thank you!
--
Andriy Gapon