Date:      Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:01:45 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS and file system messed up...

--------------enigF0EC9228353100C5462CFDCF

On 08/07/2011 08:25, Doug Hardie wrote:
> On 7 July 2011, at 22:58, Gary Kline wrote:
>=20
/named/etc/namedb/named.conf

> The first one that fails is looking for /etc/named.conf.  The second
> one shows its in /var/named/etc/named/named.conf

> Those are different locations.  I suspect you have named_flags setup
> in rc.conf pointing to /etc/namedb/named.conf rather than the right
> location.  Its also possible that its not set in rc.conf but defaults
> in either the rc script or /etc/rc.d/named.  On my system it appears
> to default in /etc/rc.d/named.

FreeBSD defaults to running named chrooted.  /etc/namedb is actually a
symbolic link:

% ls -la /etc/namedb
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  21 Jul  6 06:24 /etc/namedb@ ->
/var/named/etc/namedb

so the files referenced are in fact exactly the same file.  However, the
flags from the log extract don't look like the defaults to me.  (I'm
running the dns/bind98 port, and the equivalent info from the log line
is '-t /var/named -u bind')

Gary, what named related settings do you have in /etc/rc.conf?  You
almost certainly don't need anything more than:

named_enable=3D"YES"

and perhaps

syslogd_flags=3D"-ss -l /var/named/var/run/log"

so named can log to the system syslog.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20