Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2011 01:05:54 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Helfman <jgh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: java/163456: [patch] java/openjdk6: build and distribute open timezone data (tzdata)

on 20/12/2011 21:25 Jason Helfman said the following:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 05:50:13PM +0000, Greg Lewis thus spake:
>> Thanks for doing this!  I wonder if with a little more work we couldn't
>> make this work for all of the JDK ports instead of having to reimplement
>> it for openjdk7, jdk16, jdk15, diablo, etc.
>
> Yeah, I suppose this could be done, and sounds fitting. I haven't
> researched it enough for all jdk implementations, however it going into
> openjdk{6,7}, at a minimum is a good start, in my opinion, until a more
> lucrative method is found. I couldn't believe that the timezone data hasn't
> been updated in openjdk6 since 2010, and I believe supplying at least
> updated zoneinfo is something we should consider.
>
>> I.e., can we pull this out into a separate port that installs the
>> appropriate zoneinfo files into somewhere like
>> ${LOCALBASE}/share/java/zoneinfo and then symlink the zi directory in
>> all of the jdk and jre ports to that directory.
>
> Installation of the zoneinfo files isn't the key, though. It is the raw
> timezone files that are required so java can build against them. But if
> those were built against then installed for java, that could work.

I think that "java building against the raw files" really means converting
those files to some private java format and installing those converted files
along with jdk/jre.

>> I haven't looked deeply into your change but I assume the biggest
>> problem with this is that you need a JDK with javazic.jar already
>> installed before you can process the raw zoneinfo files so we'd be
>> creating a circular dependency.
>
> You don't need it installed. You can use the tool at build-time. My patch
> uses the ${WRKSRC} built bin/java and javazic.jar tool to build the zone
> files.  It puts them into their new working directory, and they are
> installed with the install target.

You don't need it installed if the building of java timezone files is done
within a jdk port.  OTOH, if java timezone data lives in a separate port, then
it needs to be updatable independently and thus it needs some tools for the
zoneinfo -> java tz conversion.

E.g. please see some earlier deliberations on this topic which never came to
fruition:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.java/11756
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.java/11638

Now that you have this thing going I hope that you would be interested to
implement it as close to perfection as possible :-)
Even if not, then what you already have is much better that the status quo.
Thank you.

P.S. Just noticed Jilles' followup, could have saved myself some typing :)
But since this is already written then I am just hitting Send.
- --
Andriy Gapon