Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:58:01 +0200
From:      Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance and mouse problems

On 28/04/2012 22:52, Albert Shih wrote:
>   Le 27/04/2012 ? 12:14:04-0500, Adam Vande More a écrit
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Albert Shih<Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I've got two very strange problem
>>>
>>> I'm running 9-stable on a Dell Laptop E4200.
>>>
>>> Since this morning when I put a USB mouse (I've try three mouses to be
>>> sure) it's not working. The kernel and HAL see the mouse but Xorg don't
>>> seem do anything.
>>>
>>> The second point is the load of the system is alway more than 1 (~1.5-2)
>>> event I do nothing. I kill all services, daemon, software and the load
>>> never drop.
>>>
>>> I've stop :
>>>
>>>         hald
>>>         dbus
>>>         powerd
>>>         etc...
>>>
>>> and ps don't show any process eating some ressource. But the load is high
>>> (and the laptop is very hot).
>>>
>>> I make a csup of world and build new userland, and news kernel. And nothing
>>> change....
>>>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html
> Well I don't see why this can be from a misconfiguration, the usb mouse
> work well before I update hald and world.
>
> But I read you link and I don't have those option in my configuration of
> xorg.
>
> Any other idea ?
>
> But thanks.
>
> For the problem about performance I submit this problem on stable mailing
> list.
>
> Regards
>
> JAS

I was afraid this would happen. And I fear it is just the begining.
I assume you did not create any custom hald rule. Did you ?

The first thing to do is to add

Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"

In your ServerLayout section of xorg.conf.
Then restart X and try to plug a mouse again. It may result in your mouse not working in X, but at least it should stop your computer from using all it's CPU trying to map the mouse.

If indeed the CPU load does not reach skyhigh levels when you plug a USB
mouse, we will be able to conclude that there is a DBus/hald problem.

Also could you do the following

- Mouse unplugged :

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald stop
# /usr/local/sbin/hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes>>  /tmp/hald_debug.log 2>&1
# dbus-launch lshal>>  /tmp/dbus_hal_debug.log 2>&1

- plug mouse

# dbus-launch lshal>>  /tmp/dbus_hal_debug.log 2>&1

And post the content of both log files ? That should help in understanding what is going on. In the worst case there are mecanism that will keep HAL from tinkering/probing usb mouse.

Jerome Herman