Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:50:37 +0200
From:      Gregor Jasny <gjasny@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org,  Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject:   v4l-utils, v4l_compat and (k)FreeBSD

Hello,

I'm the Debian Maintainer of v4l-utils and upstream contributor to
v4l-utils. Some time ago I converted the hand crafted Makefile base
build system to autotools which helped portability (iconv, argp, dl) a
lot. I looked at the patches against the libv4l/v4l-utils port and
changed the v4l-utils development version accordingly. One remaining
issue was the dependency of (k)FreeBSD on processed v4l/dvb headers. The
v4l_compat port gets synced from time to time but is always behind the
latest version.

This makes it impossible to even cnmpile test v4l-utils on the BSDs. So
I looked at the diffs between the original V4L headers and the one in
v4l_compat and came up with some sed rules and a quilt patch series.

You can find the bsdify.sh script here:
http://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-utils.git/tree/HEAD:/contrib/freebsd

I also wired the sed and quilt rules into the sync-with-kernel target so
the processed files become a part of v4l-utils. So they'll always be on
par with the Linux ones.

Unfortunately I won't find time to test v4l-utils with webcamd during
the next month. Maybe someone from the FreeBSD multimedia team could
step in?

Note: currently you still need these two patches to compile on (k)FreeBSD:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/libv4l.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches;h=90c8fa7f37eecc508db4b0151e35d5e736474b67;hb=refs/heads/debian-0.9.x

I'd love to release v4l-utils 0.10 with proper (k)FreeBSD support.

Thanks,
Gregor