Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:06:38 -0700
From:      "Catalin Ioan CURCANU" <catalin.curcanu@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Scalability of a pppoe server.

Hello

                   I'm doing administration on a FO network backbone from a
campus network connecting 16 buildings, having ~ 3000users.
Internet access bandwidth alocated by the provider is 20Mbps.

                   In this moment, all connected locations are routed to
internet throught local PCbased routers so the broadcast and collision
domains are limited to the buildings connected.

I'm intending to do some changes into the network so my further plan is to
give internet access using a single box with a pppoe server, but I have some
concerns about it.

If someone have a real experience with pppoe in a production environment
please give me some advices about:

1. How scalable is a pppoe server with 3000 users and how much of hardware
resources eats in general. (CPU+physical memory)
2. All data from connected LANs would be trasported to pppoe server throught
VLANs. Which would be the posibility of anyone from a connected location of
doing a man in the middle attack and gather passwords from its local area
network using arp poisoning? if that's possible, are there any methods that
eliminates the effects on a such attack?

Thank you in advance!
Catalin Ioan I. CURCANU