Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:27:13 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5rten?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?_Wikstr=F6m?= <Marten.Wikstrom@framfab.se>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routing latency

At 09:22 AM 03/19/2001, M=E5rten Wikstr=F6m wrote:
>I've performed a routing test between a FreeBSD box and a Linux box. I
>measured the latency and the result was not what I had expected. Both
>systems had the peak at 100 us (microseconds), but whereas the Linux box=
 had
>_no_ packet over 200 us, the FreeBSD box delayed some packets up to 2 ms!
>Looking at the time series, it seems that the packets are delayed at=
 regular
>intervals, about every second. My guess is that some timer interrupt
>triggers every second and steals too much cpu. So my question is, how can I
>decrease this routing delay?
Were you loading the interface, or just passing nominal streams? What pps=20
did you pass through the box? Most likely the "delays" are only seen when=20
the machine is close to capacity (the slow CPU you are using doesnt help).

Latency under load and general latency are very different. Differing=20
methods of handling backup conditions may have different goals; the proper=
=20
goal is overall stability and NOT packet efficiency. It doesnt matter how=20
fast a man runs if he doesnt finish the race.

The problem with LINUX is that it works to a point and then chokes, while=20
freebsd works up to higher thresholds. You cant evaluate a subsystem with=20
one somewhat bogus test, without looking at the system as a whole.

If you are using the dc driver, make certain it is operating in=20
store-and-forward mode, the default configuration starts in a mode that=20
only works on 10mb/s connections.

dennis