Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:49:14 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        <scanner@jurai.net>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel driver doc's Take 2.

At 01:33 PM 03/24/2001, scanner@jurai.net wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > I have read the thread for a while, and i wonder:
> >
> > why in the world someone should go through the effort and
> > responsibility of SIGNING THE NDA _and_ negotiating with Intel
> > for getting permissions to redistribute the code ?
>
><sleep deprived venting>
>
>         I made the effort to try and work things out for users like
>dennis. Who constantly have problems with Intel changing their PHY's, and
>our driver not getting updated. Because Intel wont give doc's out without
>an NDA. Now that should tell people like dennis, that our developers are
>*not interested* in writing binary only drivers, and/or signing NDA's.

You use the term "our developers" as if you are some sort of closed cult.

I have NEVER complained about Intel  not releasing full information on
their boards.That whining has come exclusively from hackers that didnt feel
like doing the work. I complained about FreeBSD having a "maintainer" for a
very important driver who didnt do any maintaining. I fixed the persistent
PHY problem in an afternoon with info from the available linux driver
supplied by intel. You dont need to get intel to change its policy to
support the board. Its just an excuse to not do it. There are plenty of
resources available.

If the if_wx driver sucks, why not fix it rather than trying to coerce a
mega-companies with a deep political structure to change is policies? But
if youre not going to maintain it, dont do it at all. You cant stick it to
users by deciding later that you dont want to support it anymore.

I complained for days and then fixed the fxp driver in about 4 hours. Maybe
its time to do work and complain less.

dennis