Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2002 11:15:28 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mike Kanaly <mike@worklife.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Book Suggestions for a newbie

At 11:33 2002/02/02 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>[ At last -- a post that's on topic ]
>
>On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:46:06PM -0800, Mike Kanaly wrote:
> > I'm wondering which books would be best in explaining what I need from
> > freebsd.
> >
> > The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide
>
>Is probably too advanced for your needs.  It might be useful if you're
>planning on using FreeBSD on a larger network with many Windows machines
>(at which point it's invaluable).
>
> > FreeBSD Handbook, 2nd Ed.
>
>You can read this on the web at
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/
>
>and then decide whether or not you need the dead-tree edition :-)
>
>A book I can personally recommend is Annelise Anderson's
>
>     FreeBSD: An Open Source Operating System for your computer
>
>It's probably right up your street.  I've also heard good things about
>"FreeBSD Unleashed", which is a much heavier tome.  I haven't read it
>though, so I don't know how 'newbie friendly' it is.

It's a great second book (after Ms. Anderson's excellent book).  Ms.
Anderson's doesn't go that deeply into Apache or Samba (both of which, in
my experience work fairly well out of the box) but is a great reference for
things that you figure you should know, but don't.  :)

>You can get all of these online.  I recommend the BSDMall for these;
>
>     http://www.bsdmall.com/books.html

I had the pleasure of meeting a few of those folks at LinuxWorld this
week--you should buy from them if you can, they're very nice --hey, they
gave me free stickers.  :)

Scott Robbins