Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:38:10 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: dual processor setup...

At 01:17 AM 1/15/02 -0800, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience with installing FreeBSD on an Asus P2B
>series MB?

Hey, there!

I'm using a P2B (single CPU board) in this machine and FreeBSD installs and
runs just fine. I haven't tried it with a P2B-D or P2B-DS, though I have a
P2B-DS sitting around here somewhere.

>Also, if the processors were of a different stepping, would it matter?

I really don't think this is a supported configuration on that board. I
seem to recall trying this just to see if it would work and the system
simply wouldn't power up, but I might be thinking of another system...

Best of luck with it. Incidentally, most - but not all - revisions of that
board won't support Coppermine CPU's, so don't plan on putting anything
faster than a 600MHz CPU in it, regardless of the stepping. I got burned by
this one personally. :)

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM