Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:42:08 -0700
From:      John Long <fbsd1@sstec.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Long <fbsd1@sstec.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named 8.3.2-T1B vulnerable?

At 05:15 PM 6/29/2002, Doug Barton wrote:
 >On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, John Long wrote:
 >
 >> Running  tag=RELENG_4_6
 >> FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE-p1 #2: Thu Jun 27 23:35:36 PDT 2002
 >> 4 boxes, 8 rebuilds, libc now this libbind thing.
 >>
 >> My named 8.3.2-T1B Thu Jun 27 22:17:53 PDT 2002 appears to be vulnerable.
 >
 >Note, there are three seperate problems here. First, there is a libc
 >resolver vulnerability. This is fixed in the base by the security team
 >already. If your machines have a fixed libc, or if they are behind a BIND
 >9.2.1 resolver, they are safe; as long as they don't make any resolver
 >calls that don't go through the actual 9.2.1 resolver.
 >
 >Next, libbind has the same resolver bug as our libc did. BUT, if you don't
 >link against libbind (and you'd know if you did) then you don't need to
 >worry about it.

Hello Doug, thanks for the very quick response, Yes I run 2 primary dns
servers
that second for each other and about 600 domains. I do not trust the safety
of the
domains to anyone else.

I would rather overwrite the base however is there any downside to this,
now or
in the future with the next build world... ?

 >Finally, if you are actually running named on any of these machines, you
 >should be using 8.3.3 if you're using BIND 8. You can build the bind8 port
 >with:
 >
 >make clean ; make -DPORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND8 install
 >
 >and it will update the version of BIND on your system. You could also
 >leave off the flag if you'd rather have the new bind in /usr/local, but
 >8.3.2-T1B had some icky bugs so I recommend just writing over it to be
 >safe.
 >
 >> Any ideas on when/if the new bind will be getting to 4_6 ?
 >
 >I will be importing it into -current this weekend, if -current isn't too
 >terribly broken. I'll give that a week or so to shake out before importing
 >to RELENG_4. I doubt that the security officer team will want to import
 >BIND 8.3.3 into any of the RELENG_4_x branches. The port will do the same
 >work now, and will require less finagling.
 >
 >Hope this helps,
 >
 >Doug

With 8.3.2-T1B being so icky, should this subject not be mentioned on the
stable
list and is it not a security problem/potential root hole ( I am sure black
hats are
very busy right now) therefore should it not go into RELENG_4_6 as a -p2?

And thank you very much for bringing this up Brett. I was fully under the
impression that the sup and build for RELENG_4_6-p1 fixed all possibilities
of this libc thing. Now I wonder just what else is there that has not been
disclosed or thought of thus far?

Finally thanks to all the people/coders involved with open source and
FreeBSD :-)

John R. Long
Star Systems
818-344-9330

http://SSTec.com
Be sure to check out Aesop's Fables, over 660 of them.
http://AesopFables.com
Yahoo, Yahooligans and many others "Site of the week"
Over 35 million page views in 4.5years.