Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:02:20 +0100
From:      Bram Van Dam <gandalfbram@pandora.be>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek

At 15:46 6/03/2003, you wrote:
>HI there.
>Gotta question.
>
>Someone said that the realtek 8029 and 8139 ethernet cards are the worst
>cards ever made. My boss is planning to make a great buy of this cards for a
>communication project ( the reasons is obius, the cost of this cards ) I'm
>trying to persuade him to by 3com ethernet cards, but I need technical
>information to demostrate him  that it's not a good inversion to buy those
>kind of cards.

I happen to have a couple of those realtek cards. They're definitely not
the BEST every made, but not the worst either. Granted, I've never once
reached 100mbits with them (usually around 30-50mbits), but considering how
cheap they are they do their job fairly well. If performance isn't an issue
then go for it. If it *is* an issue, look for 3Com the likes.
Of course this isn't technical information, it however is first hand
information from someone who's been using the cards for several years (me).

  - Bram