Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:48:28 -0600
From:      Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
To:        taxman <taxman@ACD.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make installworld problem (4.7)

I've upgraded many servers remotely without ever booting into single user
mode...

The steps I do are as follows:

1) cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile (from /usr/src/cvsup)
2) make buildworld (from /usr/src)
3) make installworld (from /usr/src)
4) modify my kernel (from /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/KERNEL NAME)
5) make buildkerenel (from /usr/src)
6) make installkernel (from /usr/src)
7) reboot
8) run mergemaster

I've done it this way for the past 3 years and it has never failed me yet.

Peter