Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2012 16:32:20 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Globalscale Dreamplug and 8.3 RELEASE

On 08/01/12 11:41, Ian Lepore wrote:
> As to this other part of your message that I didn't answer with my last
> reply... I think the most important fix you need that isn't already in
> 8.3 is the change to avoid leaving the i-cache bit disabled on
> executable pages after loading a program or shared lib.
>
> I had posted a workaround patch for that on this list a few months ago,
> which was oriented towards being as small a change as possible to
> implement the workaround.  Since then, my patch was reworked by kib@
> into a much more complete and robust change, but that change hasn't
> found its way back to freebsd 8.x yet.
>
> The change that got committed to 9 and 10 doesn't apply cleanly to 8,
> but this is something we need at work, so I'll get it back-ported to 8
> and post the patch Sometime Soon(tm).

Thanks very much for this, and especially for a response!

For reference, I've since compiled FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE for the
dreamplug based on some information on this list, and that seems to see
both ethernet ports fine.

I'll probably go with 9.1 for my "production" dreamplug since that works
currently for me, but I will likely need to run both 9.1 and 8.3. So I'd
be happy to test any patches you come up with.

In the meantime I'm still somewhat struggling with building ports for
ARM. Having abandoned cross-compilation for various reasons, I'm trying
unsuccessfully to get QEMU to run an arm ports builder on 9.1-PRERELEASE
using this GUMSTIX kernel idea. I would like to find a real step-by-step
guide for this; those that are out there do not appear to work properly.
I know 10 has some easier way, but has anyone tried this on 9.1? Are
there alternative suggestions I might consider?
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"How often do you shave?" "Twenty or thirty times a day."
"You must be a freak!"               "No, only a barber."