Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2012 13:10:40 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustau_P=E9rez_i_Querol?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fix ich9 bios to correctly configure pci bridge1 and pci bridge2

--------------000607020103010207010304

   The upcoming 4.2.0 release of virtualbox allows to plug more than 8
network adapter to a guest.

    When testing that kind of setup I noticed FreeBSD (stable or head,
it doesn't matter) is unable to map more than 8 cards. It appears that
the ninth (and so on) get connected to the pci bus 1.

    The output of a guest FreeBSD machine shows this:

  *************
pcib1: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 24.0 on pci0
pcib1:   domain            0
pcib1:   secondary bus     1
pcib1:   subordinate bus   2
pcib1:   no prefetched decode
pcib1:   Subtractively decoded bridge.
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: domain=0, physical bus=1
pcib2: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 25.0 on pci0
pcib0: allocated type 4 (0xe000-0xefff) for rid 1c of pcib2
pcib0: allocated type 3 (0xf0a00000-0xf0afffff) for rid 20 of pcib2
pcib2:   domain            0
pcib2:   secondary bus     2
pcib2:   subordinate bus   3
pcib2:   I/O decode        0xe000-0xefff
pcib2:   memory decode     0xf0a00000-0xf0afffff
pcib2:   no prefetched decode
pcib2:   Subtractively decoded bridge.
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
pci2: domain=0, physical bus=2
*********************

    The topology the developers of vbox try to build is this:

----------------------------------------------------------- pci bus 0
                              |                            |
                        ___ |______          _____|____
                        |               |         |               |
                        |  Bridge1   |         | Bridge2   |
                        |_________|         |_________|
                            |                             |
                      ----------- pci bus 1    ------------  pci bus 2

    The problem is that the pci bridge1 connects the bus0 to the bus1
and thus the primary bus would 0; the secondary would the 1 because the
bus 1 doesn't
connect any other bus through any other bridge then its subordinate must
be also 1. The pci bridge1 connects the pci bus 0 with the pci bus 2;
the primary must be 0 and the secondary and subordinate must be 2:

      The vbox programmers set the subordinate bus of bridge1 to 2 and
the subordinate of bridge2 to 3 (which is incorrect). At pci_pci.c we
can add quirks to circumvent this (we can't change real hardware) but in
this case we can change the hardware.

     I'm attaching the patch that changes the behavior of vbox. The
output of FreeBSD virtual machine with the modified 'hardware' is this:

  *************
pcib1: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 24.0 on pci0
pcib1:   domain            0
pcib1:   secondary bus     1
pcib1:   subordinate bus   1
pcib1:   no prefetched decode
pcib1:   Subtractively decoded bridge.
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
pci1: domain=0, physical bus=1
pcib2: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 25.0 on pci0
pcib0: allocated type 4 (0xe000-0xefff) for rid 1c of pcib2
pcib0: allocated type 3 (0xf0a00000-0xf0afffff) for rid 20 of pcib2
pcib2:   domain            0
pcib2:   secondary bus     2
pcib2:   subordinate bus   2
pcib2:   I/O decode        0xe000-0xefff
pcib2:   memory decode     0xf0a00000-0xf0afffff
pcib2:   no prefetched decode
pcib2:   Subtractively decoded bridge.
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
pci2: domain=0, physical bus=2
*********************

    Which is what should be according to the simple topology of the
buses and bridges. It works as it should. I hope I did not say anything
wrong.

    Best,

    Gustau

Prou top-posting :	http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Stop top-posting :	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

O O O Gustau Pérez i Querol
O O O Departament d'Enginyeria Telemàtica
O O O Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
       Edifici C3 - Despatx S101-B
  UPC  Campus Nord UPC
       C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3
       08034 - Barcelona