Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:20:13 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ThinkPad Hibernation

I recently bought two ThinkPad T23's from IBM through Ebay (fine machines,
fine prices).  I'm setting up both for FreeBSD/Win2k dual boot.  One is for my
personal use; the other will be used by a group.  I have a couple questions
TFM seems not to be able to answer:

1. I'd like to support APM 1.2 hibernation.  The only documentation that
   might address the issue in a FreeBSD context is the last page of the
   1996 standard, which says that a file system type byte of 132
   identifies a hibernation partition.  I created one a bit larger than
   the machines' real memory.  Win2k continues to insist upon using
   c:\hiberfil.sys instead (typical).  Is there some way to make FreeBSD
   hibernate, to test whether this partition does anything?  I suppose I
   could go into the BIOS setup and enable the hibernation timer ...

2. I hate to say this, but for the multi-user machine, Win2k has a nice
   feature.  It can be configured to let someone who doesn't have an
   account turn off the computer in a civilized manner from the login
   dialog box.  Is there a good way to do the same thing under FreeBSD
   at the XFree86 xdm login?  Of course the ACPI 2.0b spec's power switch
   event would be the perfect way to handle this for both OS's, but I
   doubt anyone will implement driver and daemon for that 500-page monster
   any time soon.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416