Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2012 14:44:52 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Stefano Marinelli <postnet@dragas.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Weighted round robin" for LAGG - anyhow?

On 11/14/12 1:13 PM, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I've been trying to do some experiments to improve my ADSL speed. The idea is to bond two ADSLs,  create two OpenVPN TAP channels connected to a remote (fast connected) server and doing a round-robind LAGG aggregation on both nodes. The remote end will NAT. The operation is successful but, as by design of the R-R configuration, I just get the the slowest link speed * 2. "loadbalance" mode is way slower.
> The first ADSL is more or less 2.2 Mbit/sec, the second one about 1.4 MBit/sec so the gain is minimal. It's useful just for fault-tolerance.
> I thought about doing  some sort of "weighted round-robin", giving a weight to the two tap interfaces. Something like "send 2 packets to the first one, than one to the second one".
> I found some patches [1] for Linux (I'm compiling a kernel right now), but no information about FreeBSD. My tests show that FreeBSD has a better bonding throughput (in Linux, I just get a bit more than 2.3 Mbit/sec, on FreeBSD I can almost get the theorical 2.8Mbit/sec).
> Did anyone ever tried something like that? I tried to have a look at the if_lagg source code, but I think it'd be quite difficult for me to do something like that, even trying to adapt those Linux patches.
>
> [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonding/forums/forum/77912/topic/2048022
>
> Thank you,
> Stefano

you can use mpd (or ppp) in multilink mode to encapsulate your
outgoing links via two different tcp paths to you other server where
you can undo it..
mpd (and ppp I think) will allow you to select a couple of different
multiplexing schemes, including one where each packet is cut up and
sent, so that the slower link would be sending 1/3 of teh packet and
the faster link would be sending 2/3 of the packet.