Date:      Sun, 24 Jul 2022 14:36:14 +0200
From:      Andrea Pappacoda <andrea@pappacoda.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   pkg-config and share/

------TAMCRYSQZ3J1TC9SF0N7WNR6CFGBLT

Hi everyone! First time on the FreeBSD mailing lists, I hope this is not in=
 the wrong section :)

I'd like to ask/discuss about FreeBSD's pkg-config behaviour=2E [As far as=
 I understand][1], on FreeBSD pkgconf looks for =2Epc files in the /usr/lib=
 and /usr/libdata directories, but completely ignores /usr/share=2E Why is =
that? Where should arch-independent packages install their =2Epc files?

I came here after a short discussion on a [GitHub issue][2], and I recomme=
nd looking at that thread too because it gives a lot of information about w=
hat the issue with not looking in share/ is, but in short it creates intero=
perability problems with OSs wanting to use that directory for cross-build =
purposes=2E

Could somebody please help me understand why things work this way here, an=
d if this unusual pkg-config behaviour could be improved?

Thanks!

[1]: https://cgit=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/ports/tree/devel/pkgconf/Makefile#n23

[2]: https://github=2Ecom/marzer/tomlplusplus/pull/165
------TAMCRYSQZ3J1TC9SF0N7WNR6CFGBLT

<!DOCTYPE html><html><body>Hi everyone! First time on the FreeBSD mailing l=
ists, I hope this is not in the wrong section :)<br><br>I'd like to ask/dis=
cuss about FreeBSD's pkg-config behaviour=2E [As far as I understand][1], o=
n FreeBSD pkgconf looks for =2Epc files in the /usr/lib and /usr/libdata di=
rectories, but completely ignores /usr/share=2E Why is that? Where should a=
rch-independent packages install their =2Epc files?<br><br>I came here afte=
r a short discussion on a [GitHub issue][2], and I recommend looking at tha=
t thread too because it gives a lot of information about what the issue wit=
h not looking in share/ is, but in short it creates interoperability proble=
ms with OSs wanting to use that directory for cross-build purposes=2E<br><b=
r>Could somebody please help me understand why things work this way here, a=
nd if this unusual pkg-config behaviour could be improved?<br><br>Thanks!<b=
r><br>[1]: <a href=3D"https://cgit=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/ports/tree/devel/pkgconf=
/Makefile#n23">https://cgit=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/ports/tree/devel/pkgconf/Makefi=
pull/165">https://github=2Ecom/marzer/tomlplusplus/pull/165</a></body></htm=
l>