Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:00:40 -0400
From:      Christian Mangin <christian.mangin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox a =E9crit :
> Hi, very happy to see that there are other grub fans in FreeBSD-land!
>
> I was planning to place my grub on a separate UFS partition so that I c=
an
> boot other things (like loopbacked iso's) if I should want to. The grub=
 UFS
> partition only has grub files in it (what mounts under /boot/grub) and =
no
> kernel files.
>>> specify the zfs module if your 'grub-install' target is a ZFS dataset=

> I forgot to mention my dedicated grub partition, so I hope it clarifies=
 that
> my grub-install target is not a ZFS dataset. However, "kfreebsd
> /@/boot/kernel/kernel" is on a ZFS dataset.
Then it should be sufficient to have 'insmod zfs' in grub.cfg. Because gr=
ub
doesn't need to know about ZFS before loading its config files.

> Other things I forgot to mention:
> I booted an ubuntu cd and installed grub 1.98 on the UFS grub partition=
=2E
> When I drop into the grub command line and "grub> zfslist (hd0) or (hd0=
,1)"
> I get message "no labels found". "insmod zfs" is loaded by default at g=
rub
> boot-up.
> Host info: 10-Current, amd64, ZFS ver: features async_destroy, empty_bp=
obj,
> lz4_compress

If I remember well, the 'vanilla' grub 1.98 doesn't recognize ZFS pools
properly.=20
This would explain that your Ubuntu version can't see it. There are
patches in
the current FreeBSD port to fix that. These patches were integrated upstr=
eam
in later versions.

>>> You don't need libzfs to use grub2 on ZFS.
> Please clarify: Do you mean that I don't need to invoke "--enable-libzf=
s"?
> If so, why do I get the error above (no labels found)?
You definitively don't need '--enable-libzfs'. On FreeBSD, this will
look for some
non-existent include file and fail. This option seems to be used by
folks running
Linux on ZFS.

And just a remark. I think the current version of grub2 in the ports
could be
sufficient for your need. With version 2.00 you gain the ability to
install grub
directly on ZFS, but since you don't use that..

> Thank you for the input & Regards.
>

> --
"

--=20