Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2013 23:09:07 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: Listen queue overflow

On 01.08.2013 16:47, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> After upgrading from a RELENG9 kernel from June 18th to July 27th, I am
> seeing this odd new message.  Is this a new bug, or just a new
> diagnostic message ? I am guessing it happened after r253035 ?
>

> sonewconn: pcb 0xfffffe001ac76930: Listen queue overflow: 8 already in
> queue awaiting acceptance

This message tells you that your daemon listening on that protocol control
block isn't keeping up with accepting new messages and each time one of these
lines appears the kernel had to reject a connection attempt (RST) because of
too many connections already waiting in the listen queue.

The only unusual thing here is the low listen queue size of only 8 connection
attempts.  The default kernel value is about 20 times as many.  Have you or
your application changed it manually?

--
Andre