Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:43:37 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SIGFPE on arithmetic overflow

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an explanation of a difference I've found between NetBSD
and FreeBSD in the handling of arithmetic overflow in typecasting.

The following code, compiled on a stock FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT machine
cores on SIGFPE.  On a NetBSD 1.4.1 machine (gcc-2.91.60), the program
prints the value of INT_MAX.

	int
	main(void)
	{
		double	x;
		int	i;

		x = 1e19;
		i = (int)x;
		printf("%d\n", i);

		return 0;
	}

So can anyone explain the cause of this difference to me? :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.