Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:39:46 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LRO causing stretch ACK violations interacts badly with delayed ACKing

On 10/21/13 08:15, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> On 21.10.2013 03:42, Colin Percival wrote:
>> I can't find any changes in netfront.c or tcp_lro.c to explain why 9.1 and
>> 9.2 are behaving differently -- anyone have any ideas?
>
> The last time I looked our soft-LRO had a few remaining issues.  One of
> them was that in certain situations reordering may happen with segments
> that can't be aggregated into a LRO state.  The other was that the driver
> is responsible to manage the flushing of LRO states that haven't seen
> updates in some time.

It looks like the netfront driver flushes LRO every time it finishes reading
packets -- if anything, it's too aggressive:
		/*
		 * Flush any outstanding LRO work
		 */
		while (!SLIST_EMPTY(&lro->lro_active)) {
			queued = SLIST_FIRST(&lro->lro_active);
			SLIST_REMOVE_HEAD(&lro->lro_active, next);
			tcp_lro_flush(lro, queued);
		}

So unless that code is broken somehow (it looks reasonable to me) I don't think
it's a problem of data getting stuck in soft-LRO.

Looking at the TCP stack on the other hand confuses me -- I see code which seems
to be saying that we can delay-ACK any time that we're receiving data and don't
have a delayed ACK already pending, without any regard for the fact that we
might be receiving 2+ MSS at once... am I missing something here?

--
Colin Percival