Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2013 18:28:14 -0800
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>, freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XEN vs XENHVM?

On 12/13/13 18:23, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> I was psyched to see that GENERIC kernels in 10 have HVMXEN support by
> default, but then I was left a little confused.
>
> What's the different between a kernel with options XEN and one with options
> HVMXEN?

The XEN option is for *paravirtualized* Xen -- aka. the original version,
before Intel and AMD added virtualization support into their CPUs.  HVM
uses "hardware virtualization", but we also use PV drivers where available.

> I'd love to be able to run FreeBSD domU systems without having to do
> a custom compile whenever there's an update. I've got a 9.1 system running
> now, using a copy of the XEN config with a couple tweaks, and I see all the
> PV drivers I expect. I'm wondering what's different with XENHVM... Also
> useful would be knowing if there are remaining differences between i386 and
> amd64 as a domU in FreeBSD 10.

You want to switch to using HVM with PV devices.  That should be a simple
tweak to your Xen configuration, and then you'll be able to use a GENERIC
kernel.

--
Colin Percival