Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2014 21:03:42 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphics/rawtherapee: r342622 crashes on HEAD

Am 05.02.2014 20:46, schrieb Rainer Hurling:
> Many thanks for the update of graphics/rawtherapee, r342622. This
> program is really important for photographers.
>
> It builds and installs just fine on recent HEAD amd64, but unfortunately
> it crashes immediately, when started.

Rainer,

I don't see the crash on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64 and 9.2-RELEASE
amd64 - those are versions I tried and where I could successfully open a
Sony ARW file and click a few UI items.  Note sure what 11 changed that
it would break.

> I tried to build rawtherapee and some of its dependencies with
> WITH_DEBUG=yes and then to have a look with gdb, but with only little
> luck. Obviously there is a problem with DWARF(?) and many libs without
> debug symbols?

It's rather that the base /usr/bin/gdb cannot deal with the newer debug
symbol formats...

> # gdb rawtherapee
> [..SNIP..]
> This GDB was configured as "amd64-marcel-freebsd"...Dwarf Error: wrong
> version in compilation unit header (is 4, should be 2) [in module
> /usr/local/bin/rawtherapee]
> [..SNIP..]

...do you have more luck with gdb built from the ports collection
(devel/gdb), which is version 7.6.2, as opposed to the base system gdb
6.1.1?

Also, if you recompile rawtherapee without the highly aggressive
compiler flags, does that help?

I saw warnings about undefined behaviour in aggressive loop
optimization, not sure if those are the culprit.  If they are, we might
need to tune down optimization a bit.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Matthias