Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:41:33 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, rps@merlin.mat.uc.pt
Subject:   Re: Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro: erase2 patch (was: 4.2-RELEASE ISO image for x86 updated.)

> When we first implemented termios at CSRG, we had an erase2
> character. Mike Karels was vehemently opposed to it, and
> insisted that it be deleted before we did our next release
> (4.3-tahoe if I remember correctly). I am of the opinion that
> it is a good idea, and should be there. I do not believe that
> we need/want a general aliasing facility as erase is really
> the only character for which there is widespead disagreement
> over which character to use. So, my take would be to add
> erase2 and be done with it.

Well, there are the ^U vs ^X folks for line-kill (some even argue for
^W) which is why I cited it as another example; I agree that it's by
no means as prevalent as ^H vs DEL though.

That said, I'm still not fully convinced that termios was implemented
in a fully sane fashion to begin with.  If one uses a fairly competent
shell like bash, for example, you have a "bind" command which allows
you to map any key to any function and I've used that feature to good
effect in my .bashrc so I'd have a hard time with any argument that
fully bindable keys is an over-engineered solution.  The major
drawback, of course, is that these editing characters are only useful
at the shell prompt and not with other programs which take input,
which is why readline(3) type functionality would really not be such a
horrible thing to see in termios(4).

Back in the day when a really bloated kernel was a couple of hundred
kilobytes I'd also probably have been shot at dawn for even making
such a suggestion, but I'm hoping that times have changed enough
that my life will be spared for doing so. :)

- Jordan