Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 14:34:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate

> But I think that the hack-heads who do everything from a tty and
> who have a lot of influence on the development of FreeBSD, should
> consider the world outside who's in need of GUI's.

Hey, we're always willing to evaluate your code.  We just don't feel
particularly good about folks coming up and saying "hey man, your
approach sucks - you need to make this stuff graphical and more
consistent" when we already KNOW that there are a great many
limitations to the approach we've taken, said limitations almost
always a direct result of limited manpower.

Let's take sysinstall for example, something which you say has a
confusing GUI with a poor selection model.  I agree with you.
sysinstall's UI is a festering heap of trash which annoys me, its
principle author, probably more than anyone.  Why is it so evil?
Because it uses libdialog(3) and a series of hand-rolled curses(3)
screens, the many limitations of those stemming from the general
unwieldyness of curses programming and my lack of time to sit down and
write a whole bunch of advanced curses widgets like scrolling list
boxes or expanding lists.

I also noted this MANY times in the various mailing lists and cast my
nets far and wide for some better GUI development environment that
didn't depend on X (which you can't really do if you're writing an
installer for someone who might be installing a rack-mounted PC using
a serial line and a VT100 terminal).  Until I finally stumbled onto
Turbovision 5 months ago, there was nothing, zilch, nada, and all the
Windows advocates yelling for better GUIs were absolutely no help at
all - all talk and no code from them.

Even Turbovision, with all its snazzy CUI objects, is going to be
something of a bear to come to grips with and it's a far cry from the
kinds of drag-and-drop GUI building tools that the Windows hackers get
to use in prototyping their own stuff.  There's probably a couple of
month's work ahead of us for setup(1) just in getting the GUI tools
worked out.

But no, everyone conveniently overlooks points like this when they get
in the way of a good philosophical debate and I, for one, am getting
just a little tired of discussing how nice the destination would look
if we just went there when what we should be discussing is how to
build the friggin' ROAD so that we CAN get there! :-(

					Jordan