Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:36:53 +0200
From:      Werner Lehmann <lehmannwer@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about OpenGL Version on ATI Radeon HD 4850 using KMS

Hi Jean-Sébastien,

thank you very much for your response, which I didn't receive directly,
as I am not subscribed to the mailing list and I only found out by
chance in the German BSD-Forum.

Well I did as you told me, I added the line

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-texture-float

and rebeuild graphics/dri.

The 'glxinfo' then gave me OpenGL 3.0! The performance in Darkplaces was still around 40 fps, so no
change in that.

Well, if I may suggest something with what you mentioned about enabling a patent-encumbered code:

I guess that means that you cannot enable this by default in future dri-packages, but what about if it
can be enabled as an option in the port and this possibility is pointed out in UPDATING?

I must say, I find it really important to have maximum OpenGL-support and I was very delighted to experiment with
what you told me.

Another observation that might be of your interest as well:

I put the USB-Stick in my old Notebook with a Mobility Radeon X700, and although
OpenGL was reported to be 2.1 there, the performance of Darkplaces was above 60 fps!

Well, thank you very much again.

Regards

Werner Lehmann

---