Date:      Fri, 23 May 2014 14:37:40 -0700
From:      Navdeep Parhar <np@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julien Charbon <jcharbon@verisign.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP stack lock contention with short-lived connections

On 05/23/14 13:52, Julien Charbon wrote:

> [...]
>
>  First one is (tcp-scale-inp-list-v1.patch):
>
> [tcp-scaling] Introduce the INP_LIST global mutex for protecting pcbinfo
> global structures
> https://github.com/verisign/freebsd/commit/12c62273f052911aabe6ed283cea76cdd72c9493
>

>  This change improves nothing in performance (neither degrades), it
> simply implements what we are trying to achieve:  Decompose further
> pcbinfo lock (aka ipi_lock or INP_INFO).
>
>  Ideally, pcbinfo globally shared structures are protected by leaf
> mutexes (mutexes that are taken last), not by a root mutex (mutex taken
> first).  The current lock ordering is:
>
> ipi_lock > inpcb lock > ipi_hash_lock, pcbgroup locks
>
>  ipi_lock being a root mutex is explained by its original task: Protect
> the pcbinfo as a whole.
>
>  Then, with this change, we added a new ipi_list_lock leaf mutex
> dedicated to protect structures previously under ipi_lock umbrella, i.e.:
>
>  - inpcb global list: ipi_listhead
>  - inpcb global list counter: ipi_count
>  - inpcb global list generated index: ipi_gencnt
>
>  and it permits to implement the second (meatier) change
> (tcp-scale-pcbinfo-rlock-v1.patch):
>
> [alpha][tcp-scaling] Use INP_INFO_RLOCK in critical path, and use
> INP_INFO_WLOCK in full INP loops.
> https://github.com/verisign/freebsd/commit/4633ac8c0b8d379fbda5fb9ffc921c2e4786db46
>

>  Now that ipi_lost has lost is duty to protect pcbinfo globally shared
> structures, its last (clear) duty is to hold inp creation/destruction
> when a full traversal of global inp list is performed, as this
> traversals expect inp list to be stable, e.g.:
>
> tcp_ccalgounload()
> https://github.com/verisign/freebsd/blob/388f0a87958fde5e644e01798f44b58588eb1dc2/sys/netinet/tcp_subr.c#L848
>

>  Thus (performance-wise) critical paths can now take ipi_lock _read_
> lock, e.g.:
>
> tcp_input()
> tcp_usr_shutdown()
> tcp_usr_close()
> tcp_twstart()
>
>  and, on the other side, functions performing full inp list traversal
> will take the INP_INFO _write_ lock:
>
> tcp_ccalgounload()
> tcp_pcblist()
> in_pcbpurgeif0()
> etc...
>
>  This patch doubles the performance improvement with our short-live TCP
> workload.
>
>  _However_ it would be a miracle that this change does not introduce new
> race condition(s) (hence the 'alpha' tag in commit message).  Most of
> TCP stack locking strategy being now on inpcb lock shoulders.  That
> said, from our tests point of view, this change is completely stable: No
> kernel/lock assertion, no unexpected TCP behavior, stable performance
> results.  Moreover, before tagging this change as 'beta' we need to test
> more thoroughly these features:
>
>  - VNET,
>  - PCBGROUP/RSS/TCP timer per cpu,
>  - TCP Offloading (we need a NIC with a good TCP offloading support)

I can assess the impact (and fix any fallout) on the parts of the kernel
that deal with TCP_OFFLOAD, and the TOE driver in dev/cxgbe/tom.  But I
was hoping to do that only after there was general agreement on net@
that these locking changes are sound and should be taken into HEAD.
Lack of reviews seems to be holding this back, correct?

Regards,
Navdeep