Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:35:23 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@freebsd.org>, Phil Shafer <phil@juniper.net>, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, arch@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: XML Output: libxo - provide single API to output TXT, XML, JSON and HTML

On 8/15/14 10:38 AM, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 00:04:15 -0700, Alfred Perlstein writes:
>> Sure that is fairly simple, but where will that really even be needed in
>> practice right now?
> You did work at Juniper for a while - did you never use Junos?
> If you had you should be well aware of at least one use case.
> No one said appA needs to be a standard bsd utility.
Well I sort of used Junos, as you know during my tenure I threaded the
JUNOS kernel for our platform and did some interesting realtime-ish
tweaks.  Unfortunately did not spend a lot of time in userland or using
the box in the role of a customer.

>> How many programs have been successfully converted over to libxo at this
>> point?
> How is that relevant to any of this discussion?

Well, it speaks towards the vision of getting this done in a timely
manner.  As I said there is a GSOC project that has a ton of code
already done.  If this libxo is ready to go in, it should go in and we
should get towards converting more utils to using it.  However if we are
going to perpetually add frameworky things, but not convert over
userland tools to the actual framework, then that is a potential problem
worth calling out.

-Alfred