Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 18:02:06 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation, continued

> What you're arguing for here is a symlink based on the unix userid,
> which certainly is a good candidate for a system-wide variable.  All

But that's NOT what I was arguing for - that was merely a convenient
example.  I'm specifically arguing for being able to exploit an
application's *existing* use of environment variables and NOT having
to think "well gee, I guess a username is one thing we should make a
magic variable for, and maybe the uid and pid, and ..."  That somehow
assumes that the designers are going to know what all the useful
variables are going to be in advance, something which Unix itself has
shown that they plainly don't.  Users in the field are always going to
think up even more odd-ball uses of the mechanism than the designers
ever thought of.

> However, let's say the program itself happens to set an environment
> variable called "PROGUSER", and you're going to use that.  You do
> not depend on the user themselves remembering to set this variable
> (which is good (*)), because you know the program itself sets the
> value before it reads the configuration file.  The user runs the
> program, the program goes to the desired config file, and it

You're somehow confusing the user for the application writer here.
When you say "you are going to use that", what you're really saying is
the _user_ is going to use that as a convenient hook only after
determining that it *is* a convenient hook.  If it's not entirely
appropriate then the user is going to have to either figure out
another more effective one OR they're going to have to give up on
the idea of customizing that application's behavior completely
behind its back.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

In any case, this argument is also somewhat moot since neither of us
is actually doing the work of IMPLEMENTING this baby and it's the
implementor who is always going to have the final say as to how it
works anyway. :-)

- Jordan