Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 2014 01:52:17 +0100
From:      Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@NTLWorld.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   nosh version 1.9

nosh version 1.9 is out.  If you've not heard of it, here's the blurb:

* http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh.html

If you also read the worked example, make sure that you read all of the
way to the bottom.  (-:  If you want to read more, there's a whole Guide
in the package, and lots of manual pages.

There's now a command for converting FreeBSD /etc/rc.conf{,.local}
preset information (the *_enable variables) to service bundle preset
information.  For kicks, I've also added a small shim for the OpenBSD
"rcctl" command that they're busy inventing.  It's worth noting that
OpenBSD 5.6 now specifies that /etc/rc.conf{,.local} doesn't have shell
expansions and isn't necessarily sourced by a shell, which is change
that I welcome with open arms.  I will be looking at conversion of
OpenBSD *_flags variables; but the big thing that remains in this area
is a utility that pushes all of the other variables, apart from
*_enable, into envdirs in the appropriate service bundles, which is
going to be a tedious one-by-one slog because sometimes the variable
names don't match the service names, as you no doubt know.

I set myself a task of converting to service bundles all but two of the
157 non-target scripts that I found in a stock FreeBSD /etc/rc.d/ .
I've reached 85.  A lot of the remaining scripts are complex, often
one-shot, shell scripts onto the side of which the rc.d start/stop
system has been bolted, with varying degrees of success.  If you are
interested in helping, one of the things that would help greatly is
factoring out the meat of some of these into helper commands of some
kind, reducing the lopsided hulks to something more like (say)
/etc/rc.d/rpcbind .  (I can supply a list.)  As reciprocal payment in
advance, I'm letting you know that /etc/rc.d/msgs is missing all of the
rc.d mechanism, and so does the same thing on every
start/stop/restart/whatever command verb. Although I suggest that
factoring out things in this way is a gain for the rc.d system, too, and
of mutual benefit.