Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:55:03 +0200
From:      Godfrey Hamshire <freebsdlist@compudoc.za.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using Nokia Cell Phone or GSM Modem to send sms's

Using Nokia Cell Phone or GSM Modem to send sms's

Dear Memeber

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with connecting a 3g/gsm of
the type you can find in Cell Phone Shops to freebsd or a old nokia
symbian cell phone via its usb cable to freebsd.

What I would like to to do is send sms's from the server using a 3g/gsm
dongle or using an old nokia symbian cell ie warning the power is out
etc etc I am doing this already via email and a clickatel api account
already but sometimes these email do not get through or what ever. I am
looking for alternative ways of notifying myself of power problems or
what ever is going on when I am not around.

I don't want to run off and buy a 3g/gsm dongle only to find I could
have easily done this with a nokia symbian cell phone and its usb cable
for example. Or if I have to get a 3g/gsm dongle I dont want to buy
brand x only to find it does not work with freebsd but brand y does.

I have been through google and frankly found nothing really helpful I
was wondering if some one on this list has done this before and how did
they do it etc, what did they use etc.

Regards

Godfrey